Saturday, November 26, 2011

Food, Food and More Food!

Well, it’s official, the holidays are here. I’m sure most of us have already put on five pounds after Thursday’s Thanksgiving feast. I won’t even step on the scale.

But, while we’re on the subject of food, I would like to mention its importance. As I have mentioned before, I feel that food is the most important thing in life next to quality water. And I’m talking about REAL food - you know, the stuff that grows out of the ground and hasn’t been passed through every hand and machine before reaching your freezer and eventually your mouth. It is the stuff that keeps us going, the stuff that heals us, the stuff that we should all learn to love and appreciate.

I personally have had quite a few issues with food throughout my life, I joke that I blame my mother’s cooking (sorry mom, just teasing, as usual), especially highly processed foods which my body seems to be rejecting more and more as I get older. Processed foods make me feel lethargic, achy, or give me stomach pain. As I incorporate more fresh, healthy produce into my daily diet I feel that food is working for me and not against me. I’m still figuring the whole situation out. My best tip to people is to simply figure out what foods their bodies agree with and gain from. There have been extensive studies on the advantages of fresh, whole foods and the disadvantages of prepackaged, chemically enhanced foods. As I move forward with my homesteading project I plan to make as many things from scratch as I can so that I know what goes into them.

This brings me to Monday night. While on break from Tango class, I realized I had forgotten to bring a snack with me. I usually try to bring almonds or something. Yeah, I’m one of those crazy ladies who randomly will pull food out of her purse. I went to the vending machine and the best thing I could find was Nature Valley Crunchy Granola Bars: Oats ‘N Honey. Now, these bars I normally enjoy, but after I ate it my stomach was really upset. Besides my personal problems with the granola bar, I was thinking that instead of buying prepared and prepackaged granola bars, why don’t I just make my own. Then I will be reducing the impact I have by not buying a packaged and shipped item. Plus, I’ll have more control over what’s going into my body. Looking on the back at the ingredients I can already see that there are some things that could be eliminated or reduced.

Here is the recipe for Homemade Granola Bars with coconut, apricots, dates and cranberries, (ingredients were about $10 for about 15 bars). I found the recipe from Ina Garten at Food Network. They were quick and easy to make. The hardest part was waiting for them to cool for a couple of hours. But they are delicious granola bars and I plan on making them weekly from now on. Leroy personally thinks they taste like the Nature Valley bars but much better because they taste fresher. I hope you get around to making some too. (The picture doesn't do them justice).



Anyway, I hope you enjoyed your Thanksgiving and were able to enjoy some whole foods. Leroy and I spent it with Joshua of Yreka and his family. I made a Pistachio Cream Pie (a recipe from my friend’s mother) all from scratch (about $10-$15 depending on whether you already have the staples such as flour, etc.; pistachios were the bulk of cost at $7.80 for a pound). It was so creamy and only moderately sweet, which I enjoy. I am quite impressed with myself. Leroy made a blackberry pie with blackberries picked from Joshua’s backyard. He also made a lemon tart, which was…ahem…rather tart. (It should be noted that I have an utter distaste for any desert that calls for something as tart as lemon or orange. Ewww!) The next evening Leroy and I had our own little Thanksgiving with a Tofurky, homemade Mushroom Gravy, salad, brussels sprouts and, of course, mashed potatoes. It was very nice.





As I come to a close I would like to repeat my request that you please make sure to eat your fruits and veggies everyday! I watched the documentary Beautiful Truth this week while thinking of my dear aunt who has just been diagnosed with stage-four liver cancer and I further realized the amazing healing powers of good wholesome food. I highly recommend the film for anyone interested in nutrition and alternative healing.

If anyone is in need of local fresh fruits and vegetables, AmpleHarvest.org can direct you to your nearest food pantry where local farmers donate their extra harvest in order to further reduce the starvation of many Americans who go without food (healthy food) every day. Or, contact AmpleHarvest.org if you are a farmer interested in donating your surplus.

And, although many of you have already completed your Black Friday shopping sprees, I thought I would share this article from Mother EarthNews about Christmas shopping and giving presents. I think there are a few tips in there which can help those who would like to become conscientious shoppers or reduce the amount of money they spend this holiday season.

I think that concludes the post for this week. Who knows what is to come for the next. For now, I lay resting while Leroy makes me homemade Creamy Tomato Garlic soup, garlic being the active ingredient to getting better soon. I swear by it.

Happy Holidays to you all! 

-Lady Bug

No comments:

Post a Comment